Clicky

Forum Home Page » Questions and Answers

Restring? Picks?

• 7 posts
    December 19, 2016 11:13 AM CST

Greetings. I love the sound of steel guitar/Hawaiian. (So at 70 years old) Got my first lap steel a couple weeks ago, tuned strings and started practicing scales. And I can just about play all the way thru Silent Night (so proud of myself. LOL)

Following the recommendation of an experienced long time steel player I ordered a set of replacement strings. Can I mention brand here? I have a Rogue RLS-1. Gotta start somewhere. It has an adjustable bridge. What do I adjust the bridge to prior to installing the new strings?

I am playing without finger picks. I grew tired of trying to get them to fit and stay on (plastic and metal). I am comfortable with finger/nails so far. Any recommendations for picks that will stay on the fingers? Thanks.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas.

This post was edited by Steve Callahan at December 19, 2016 11:16 AM CST
    • 7 posts
    December 20, 2016 11:02 PM CST

Thank you for the replies. A couple replies are not showing up on this page. I spent a little time working with the metal picks (Donlop 020) today and may have them pretty close to fitting properly. I'll try them tomorrow. I'll be working on playing Silent Night before Christmas Day.

• 594 posts
    January 5, 2017 4:53 PM CST

Helps keep your picks on:

This may sound strange but try wetting your fingers and thumb buy licking them and putting the picks on while your fingers are wet. Try it...

This post was edited by Hank Ruf at January 5, 2017 5:45 PM CST
    • 7 posts
    January 8, 2017 11:00 PM CST

Thanks Hank. I'll pick up a new set of plastic picks tomorrow and give that a try. I don't care to try the metal picks anymore.

• 594 posts
    January 8, 2017 11:06 PM CST

Steve, It works good with metal finger picks.

This post was edited by Hank Ruf at January 8, 2017 11:07 PM CST
    • 7 posts
    January 9, 2017 4:46 PM CST

So. We went to the big city today. O.K. A large town. Walked into the music store and asked the girl if they had steel guitar finger picks. She shows me guitar picks. No, I mean the picks you slide on your finger to play the steel guitar.

"YOU PLAY STEEL GUITAR???" came voices from the back of the store. "Well, I'm learning." Seems there is a shortage of steel guitar players in NW Florida. The store owner and a band member standing there told me to get up with them when I'm ready to play for others or with a band. Don't know how serious they are.

I explain the problems I've been having with picks. So the guy pulls out three drawers of finger picks and says, "You buy picks to fit. Not picks to modify." And commenced to sizing me up. Laid two finger and a thumb pick on the counter and says, "Try those."

Oh, man. What a world of difference. They go right on and stay on as I pick the strings. I've been playing without picks and now have to learn to play with them.

So. On to becoming a rock star (at 70 years old).