Clicky

Forum Section » Lap Steel Guitar

Vintage Gibson Lap Steel

• 1 posts
    May 11, 2017 4:35 PM CDT

Hi folks. Interesting story...

When I was an 18 year old kid I did a bunch of stupid crap, and probably one of my biggest regrets was pawning my dad's lap steel.

Well, I'm an acoustic player, and a couple of days ago I was in that same pawn shop where I pawned the lap steel 18 years ago...I was looking at their inventory, trying to find something for myself, and over in the corner I saw this little brown case. I thought, "Surely not." Inside the case was a black Gibson lap steel...I asked the guy behind the counter about it, and I said, "How long have you had it?" He said, "Not sure, I found it under a work bench in the back...looked like it had been there for years." I knew for sure that it was my dad's then. I asked him what he wanted for it, he said $200...he probably could have said 10x that and I would have paid it.
    Needless to say, this was a pretty emotional experience. My dad passed away when I was 24, and music, especially classic country, is how he and I bonded when I was a kid. I learned how to play by listening to Haggard, Willie, Waylon, Hank...all those old greats that dad had everyone of their albums.

To me, it was like the old man was looking down from heaven yesterday saying, "I still love ya boy."

I can't find any serial or model numbers on the guitar. I've looked everywhere I know to, aside from taking it apart. Does anyone have any info as to what model this might be, what year it may have been made? I went to the local luthier and he said he didn't have a lot of experience with lap steels, but he did know that during WWII Gibson didn't typically put serial numbers on their instruments. 

Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated. I have more photos if needed.

" alt="">

• 11 posts
    May 12, 2017 2:37 PM CDT

Wow

• 2 posts
    May 26, 2017 9:50 AM CDT

Wow. Really. I can only imagine the emotions. 

As far as 'stupid stuff', just get in line behind us old guys.